Saturday, June 28, 2008

Sick Babies Aren't Fun!

On Tuesday morning when Marc checked on Casen before work, he said he was breathing sort of fast and funny. I told him I would check on him. When I went to get him up, he was really warm. I took his temperature and it was 100. I decided he needed to go to the doctor, but my pediatrician wasn't available so I saw another guy. When I got there, they said he did not have a temperature (I think they were taking it wrong!). Instead of focusing on the temperature and his breathing, they were focusing on the fact that he had 1 diarrea diaper. Casen screamed the whole time the doctor was examining him, so I doubt he could even hear anything. He said it was just a stomach bug going around. I left the doctors and when I got home, his temperature was 101. I was a little mad but I just gave him tylenol. In the middle of that night, he woke up just crying and restless (he never wakes up in the middle of the night). His breathing was really fast again so we called the nurse line. His breathing was 40 per minute and normal was 32 per minute. It wouldn't slow down even when he was calm. She told us to go to quick care. It didn't open until 8 so we gave him some tylenol and put him back to sleep. We got to quick care around 9:30 am and he had a temperature of 103. They immediately gave him more tylenol. After checking him, they found infections in both ears and decided to do a chest x-ray because of the breathing. They discovered that he had pneumonia!! They said it wasn't a lot and his oxygen was really good, but pneumonia nevertheless. He had to have a shot of penicillin and then a breathing treatment with the nebulizer.
Here is a picture of him using his nebulizer. We have to give him 3 treatments a day. The quick care doctor said for 10 days but our pediatrician extended it to 2 or 3 weeks. He said the treatments are really good for him. It is sort of difficult to keep him sitting for the 10 minutes that it takes, but we are getting creative. On Wednesday night we started all the medecines and lots of tylenol and motrin and he was starting to feel much better. Marc and his dad gave him a blessing as well. He woke up with another fever but it went away after some tylenol.

Apparently, when you are sick, it is difficult to eat! He was so tired and sick feeling that he just kept rubbing his eyes and face until he was covered in food! After 4 whole days of being sick, he finally slept through the night last night, and he seems to be feeling much better. His spirits are much higher and he is acting pretty wild! The good news is that the doctor said we are fine to still leave on our trip. By the time we leave on Weds, he will almost be done with his antibiotics, and we will have to bring the breathing machine. It is pretty compact though, so it won't be too difficult to bring. We have been so worried about our little boy this week and we are so grateful that he is feeling better! I guess since he is having his nap right now I better get packing and cleaning instead of blogging! I am so excited for our trip. The first part is a reunion for my siblings. It will be the first time that all of my 6 siblings and their families will all be together since my wedding (6 years ago). There will be 34 of us (if I counted right)! I will be posting lots of pictures when I get back!!

9 comments:

Pike's Place said...

I'm so mad at that first doctor -- he should have caught it. Jacye has had oodles of nebulizer treatments, and they really do help. I'm glad he's feeling better . . . I'm just sorry you went through such stress. I've been there, and it's no fun.

Ragan said...

Poor little guy! I'm glad he's feeling better. Emme had to have breathing treatments with the nebulizer for over a year, and they still never figured out what was wrong with her, she just got better. Dr's stink!

Have fun on your trip!

Ashby Family said...

I'm sooo sorry. Poor guy (and Mom). I'm glad you don't have to cancel your trip. Babies being sick isn't fun and it can be kind of scary especially when you feel like the doctors aren't doing their job.

Jessica said...

Sorry he was sick! Brody was hospitalized for his pneumonia and it was scary! I'm glad he's getting better. Have fun on your trip!

Becky said...

Glad that's over huh! Hey have a great time on your trip! Where is the reunion? I'll be looking forward to your next post! Love and miss ya! Becky

Celestia said...

Oh Kenni, I am sorry. Abram used to have to do breathing treatments all the time when he was a baby too. We had to pack along his neb when we went to take the 5 generation picture with Grandpa Jim. They are such a pain, we had to do them every 4 hours though, so feel lucky. I am sure he will get better soon. We love you guys!

Katrina said...

Poor little guy! I hope he is feeling better now. I hope you have fun on your vaca.

heather said...

Oh the poor little guy. I'm glad that he is doing better. HAve fun on your vaction!

LJ said...

Hi! Here is your friendly reminder comment. Follow the link to the ol' blog. http://ramblingsandrandomness.blogspot.com